The observer

Thursday, June 10, 2021

The other day, like a couple weeks ago, I was going out to throw out the trash. On my way back home I discerned something that really stood out to me. 

Picture just your regular lane to an avenue, people walking, the sun is shining, spring has sprung and all the trees are green. Everyone's on their own thing. I take a few steps on the sidewalk back from the trash recycling and start walking up on an incline.

I'm always with my headphones, some song on repeat, or some album or playlist created by me on repeat. I love to observe everything. The people, the movement around, the soil, the pavement, the metal of the railing on the ramp, the trees... People's always so focused, so worried with what they ought to do, they miss everything that's around them, and I live in my surroundings.

Anyway, lucky me, I found a new anthill, in a tiny crack by the sidewalk. Hundreds of ants were working nonstop, bringing teeny tiny rocks in, seeds, crumbs, little twigs and sticks, all you can imagine, and I couldn't but sit on the ground and stare at them, mesmerized, when 3 of them took a piece of a brick, maybe 5x3mm, and quickly a couple more ants joined in to help. It seemed so daunting, it was huge for them, and I wasn't quite sure it was gonna fit in their nest's hole! It all was a call for disaster! - I was thinking - all this work and efforts and maybe then they won't be able to take advantage of what looks like a key piece for them.

After like 10 minutes of careful observation - of various groups of ants, bringing in diverse items to the nest and other going out to new adventures - the brick group finally arrived. And then... like nothing, they maneuvered without any issue and the frikkin piece of brick entered no problem, I was almost discombobulated XD but at the same time I was so happy for them, it was a long process with a successful end, they did it together, taking turns on the way, guiding themselves with the chemical markings their companions had left before on the sidewalk. True teamwork, and I don't even like ants... but I love to observe, and I love to learn from patience and from other communities that are way more "basic" than us, cuz sometimes they can teach us things - and yeah, LET'S NOT GO TO EXTREMES NOW BABIES XD.

I will never understand why people don't ask more questions, why they don't stop and look around or just stop to look at something just because they want to appreciate it. That is something I integrate in my daily routine, and I don't mind being looked at weird or whatever, I think the rest of people is missing out - same as when I'm into whatever music I'm listening and I walk-dance through the streets... what's the meaning of life if you're not enjoying it without hurting others!?



Enjoy! Observe! Learn! Make mistakes! Laugh! Make a fool of yourself and embrace it!!! "Normal" is a stupid construct, be YOU and don't let anyone stop you. Remember that the only person you'll always have by your side is yourself.
Appreciate all those quirks that make you special, because everyone is special in their own manner, there's no two of the same human, and that's frikkin bangin', don't you think? So... be you, and enjoy it.

 




No comments :

Post a Comment

`