Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe (gluten free)

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies - healthier than average cookies and gluten free

So, it might be a new topic on Blueberry segmentS but I've always been a huge baking lover, in fact i usually make some sort of healthified cake/bread to have for breakfast and stuff - used to do every week, but now is more sporadical. It has been ages since I've made cookies and even though I have half banana bread from last week, I was feeling like cookies! I don't buy cookies on the supermarket as I'm trying to cut on refined sugars and also because I hate not knowing more than half the ingredients!

I took Coulinary Couture's "Perfect Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies" and made them with my own twist - as per usual when "following" a recipe, hope you know what I mean! It calls for plain white flour but instead I used rice flour, I used more vanilla, a bit more of salt - plus a bit more for topping - didn't use the granulated sugar and substituted for a bit of vanilla liquid stevia and for the chocolate chips I used my stevia sweetened 70% black chocolate!

Also, I don't usually follow the recipes per se, I tend to just mix by hand the wet ingredients and then mix in the dry ones, I hate using more than one bowl if I can't avoid it! - yeah, lazy ass. They came out really really good. They really filled my cookie craving! They were fluffy yet crunchy, kinda chewy and with the perfect amount of saltiness and sweetness!

Coconut Oil Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies on the Making
*By the way, have you seen my new silicone heart shaped spatula? It's from tiger and I love it! Really handy to take the cookies out of the baking sheet and to make me happy*

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, room temperature
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
10 drops vanilla liquid stevia
1 egg
2 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup stevia sweetened dark chocolate chunks


Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/175ºC
- Prepare a couple of baking sheets, preferably with parchment paper - I didn't have so I rubbed some coconut oil on my one and only baking sheet that I reused once the first batch was done!

- In a large bowl mix the coconut oil, egg, sugar, stevia and vanilla extract with a whisk.
- Once whisked add baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk again.
- Slowly add the flour - I did it at 1/4 of a cup batches - and mix it with a spatula (don't use the whisk as this mixture is about to get thick and sticky!).
- Chop the chocolate and add in the chunks to the mixture!

- Add scoops of 1 tablespoon to the baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between dough balls.
- Bake for 9 minutes - or until the edges start to brown.
- Let them cool a bit on the sheet and then transfer them to a wire rack - I used my oven rack.
- Preferably try not to eat them until they're cooled off!!!! Hardest task of them all, hahaha.


Let me know what you think if you make them!

facebook ♥ instagram ♥ twitter ♥ pinterest ♥ rss ♥ bloglovin

No comments :

Post a Comment

`